Marketing 2 min read

YouTube Tests New Monetization Method Called Viewer Applause



YouTube is testing a new form of video monetization for creators called viewer applause. It involves viewers purchasing “Applause” on videos they enjoy.

Buying applause is similar to SuperChats on live YouTube videos. However, unlike SuperChats, you can purchase applause on any video and at any time.

The video monetization method is designed to help viewers support their favorite creators.

In other words, viewers receive nothing for purchasing applause. Think of it as a donation in which the viewer’s reward is knowing that they compensated a YouTube creator for great content.

The details at YouTube Help Center reads:

“You may be able to buy Viewer applause on participating creators’ videos and show your support for YouTube channels. When you purchase Viewer applause, you’re purchasing a one-time “clapping” animation that will only be shown to you over the top of the video.”

Such donations are not uncommon on social media platforms. For example, it accounts for a significant portion of streamers’ revenue on the video live streaming service, Twitch.

So, how does it work?

Viewer Applause: A New Video Monetization Method on YouTube

Viewers on YouTube desktop version who wish to purchase applause can click on the “applaud” icon underneath a video.

Subsequently, YouTube would display a pop-up to enable the viewer to complete the transaction. After making the purchase, the viewer should see a one-time clapping animation at the top of the video.

How much does viewer applause cost?

According to YouTube, viewers can spend as little as $2 on a single clap. However, they can donate as many claps as they want, up to $500 per day. Creators will get 70 percent of the money, with the remaining 30 percent going to YouTube.

Google points out that the purchase is completely anonymous. That means the tech company will not share the buyers’ details with the public or even the creator.

Currently, viewers can only purchase applause on the desktop version of YouTube. Also, the monetization feature is only available to viewers in the USA, Australia, Brazil, India, Japan, Korea, Mexico, and New Zealand.

Read More: Google to Discontinue Old YouTube on Desktop This March

First AI Web Content Optimization Platform Just for Writers

Found this article interesting?

Let Edgy Universe know how much you appreciate this article by clicking the heart icon and by sharing this article on social media.

Profile Image

Edgy Universe

EDGY is an SEO incubator, forecaster, and support center for deep learning, technological advancement, and enterprise-level end-to-end search programs.

Comments (0)
Least Recent least recent
share Scroll to top

Link Copied Successfully

Sign in

Sign in to access your personalized homepage, follow authors and topics you love, and clap for stories that matter to you.

Sign in with Google Sign in with Facebook

By using our site you agree to our privacy policy.